become a volunteer
Churches on-the-Hill Food Bank is 100% volunteer supported.
Due to the COVID pandemic and to minimize the chance of community spread, we are operating with a core group of volunteers, all wearing masks, gloves and social distancing.
Volunteers work at the Food Bank in a variety of roles, including:
- Prepacking shelf stable food orders according to family size
- Registering new clients and recording client visits on Monday evenings and Wednesday mornings
- Prepacking fresh food and vegetables based on Monday evenings and Wednesday mornings.
- Taking the bags of food to clients waiting in line outside our Food Bank
- Assisting with unloading food deliveries and restocking pantry shelves on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Calling new clients to complete their registration and assisting with their other concerns
“I have volunteered at the Churches on the Hill Food Bank for just over two years. My interest in working at the food bank grew out of my participation in the annual neighbourhood food drive which takes place over two weekends and provides the food bank with a significant amount of its supplies. The food bank has been a wonderful way for me to make a contribution towards helping some of the most vulnerable members of our community. It is extremely well organized and run by teams of people who are committed in this shared purpose and create a welcoming, friendly environment to work in.“
-Rosalind (Small Business Owner)
commitment and qualifications
Volunteers must be willing to work as part of a team, and commit to working a minimum three hours every two weeks. Having a commitment to community service is essential.
Qualifications for each job vary and may include having the physical capability to carry baskets of groceries. The minimum age for volunteers is 15.
interested in volunteering?
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer will be invited to attend one of our client sessions and will be given an orientation to the various volunteer roles. A suitable position will be identified and the volunteer will be assigned to a team when a slot becomes open.
If you would like to volunteer with Churches on-the-Hill Food Bank, please telephone 416-967-3842 and leave your contact information. Our Volunteer Coordinator will return your call and set up a tour.